WRITTEN BY: Jaclyn Popola
Te the land of Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock, ",tearjerkers", or ",heartbreakers", are defined spil films, usually of the romantic genre, which prompt one to sob their eyes out overheen the tragedy of love gone wrong — before, of course, both parties reunite just ter time for a blessed ending. For the purposes of this hub, however, I’m going to be talking about Actual tearjerkers, the movies that make you sob because you’re so depressed you can’t do anything but weep. I’m not attempting to be melancholy or morbid however. On the contrary, films of this nature instruct utterly valuable lessons. They instruct us to appreciate what wij have ter the precies uur wij have it. The endings may be sad, but movies of this type make you realize just how quickly love can go, and remind you to never take anything for granted. Live the uur now, children, &lsquo,cause you can’t live it merienda you’re dead.
Radha Mitchell plays ",Syd",, an editor at a haughty-taughty kunst tv-programma who meets Lucy (played by Ally Sheedy) who is—gasp!—a merienda renowned but now out of work photographer. What are the odds? Anyway, their relationship unfolds fairly effortlessly, except for the fact that Syd has a bf who she’s pretty serious with, and Lucy has a gf and a heroin habit that’s pretty serious with hier. On Syd’s encouragement, Lucy gets back into taking pictures and the two head upstate for a weekend retreat on ",business", so Lucy can find some inspiration. A few days prior to this, Syd does a line of heroin with hier, and you start to think that will be the plot of the story (she gets sucked into the hell of addiction to be closer to Lucy). Instead, on their drive upstate, Lucy literally throws hier addiction out the window for Syd when she throws hier stash after Syd says, ",I don’t want to be with you like that.", It’s hard to explain why this movie earns it’s tearjerker status without providing away the ending, so let’s just say it’s heartbreaking because Lucy, at the urging of hier now-ex-girlfriend, Greta, finishes up taking one more klapper of heroin when she comes back from hier and Syd’s weekend of lovemaking.
- Lucy’s mother: What did you do to yourself? C’mon, tell mij! What kleintje of problem?
- Lucy: I don’t know. It’s not truly a problem. It’s more of an punt.
- Lucy’s mother: You just said a problem. Is it a problem? Now it’s an kwestie. Is it a problem or an kwestie?
- Lucy: Both. I have a love punt, and a drug problem. Or maybe I have a love problem, and a drug punt. I don’t know.
If Angelina Jolie wasn’t a lovemaking symbol before this filmrolletje debuted te 1998, she certainly became one after it’s release. Based on the true story of a famous style monster from the late 1970s, Angelina plays wild Gia Marie Carangi te this biography that goes after hier life from age 17 until hier death from AIDS te 1986. I wish I could say that she spent hier brief time on earth living life to the fullest and inspiring millions. Unluckily, hier youthful life wasgoed peppered with heartache, and albeit she quickly became a very successful proefje, the zoeklicht introduced hier to narcotics that would never release their seize on hier life. Earns it’s Tearjerker Status Because: Gia dies of AIDS, which she contracted from sharing used hypodermic needles.
- Gia Carangi: Life and death, energy and peace. If I zekering today it wasgoed still worth it. Even the terrible mistakes that I made and would have unmade if I could. The anguishes that have burned mij and scarred my soul, it wasgoed worth it, for having bot permitted to walk where I’ve walked, which wasgoed to hell on earth, heaven on earth, back again, into, under, far te inbetween, through it, ter it, and above.
Another true story, based on the life of Aileen Wuornos (played by Charlize Theron), a serial killer from Daytona Beach, Florida. Before giving way to hier fate spil a murderess, she meets Selby (Christina Ricci), a lonely lezzie who has no friends, which works out flawlessly for Wuornos, a lonely hooker who has no friends. Wuornos promises Selby the world, but when she kills a john after getting raped she can’t seem to zekering murdering and then robbing hier clients. Earned it’s Tearjerker Status Because: Selby finishes up selling hier out and phone tapping hier for the police, and Aileen completes up being executed.
- Selby: I just wanna live, Lee. I just want a frecuente blessed life. I don’t know why you did this.